Wednesday, June 20, 2012

AND.....HE'S BACK AT IT AGAIN!!

Hi there, One to continuously teach me determination and perseverance, my dad has done it again. He started his hike on another portion of the Pacific Crest Trail on Monday, June 4th. He warned me of the fact that I would not be hearing from him too much the next few weeks and he was right. I found myself a couple of times wanting to just pick up my cell phone and call him to see how he was doing; part worry and part curiosity! On Saturday, June 9th he left a voicemail on my cell phone that said "Hi Kim, sorry I missed ya. I'm standing up on top of Mt Whitney, 14,494 feet. Doing pretty good, sorry I couldn't reach ya. Talk to you later. Bye." When I listened to the message I cried. My dad, standing on top of Mt. Whitney, the tallest peak in the continental United States and what does he do? He calls me. Boy I love him and am oh, so proud of what he's doing. He's doing it for him, but you know how kids are (even old ones)...they are proud of their dads and what they can do. That desire to not only begin, but to continue is so strong. I'm so thankful that he feels this way not only on this natural walk, but spiritually also. Today, June 20th, I received an email from him sent this afternoon at 1:37 PM! I was so excited to read it as it had been a week and a half since last hearing from him. This is what it read: "Just a quick note from the Vermillion Valley Resort. We arrived here yesterday (6/19) after 14 days on the trail. Needless to say we were glad to be at some place where we could shower and get laundry done. The trip has been. Good and no special problems, we have climbed the highest mountain in the continental United states, and also crossed the highest pass on the trail. We have gone over a dozen passes and forded many streams. They have not been past the knees so have not presented any problems. We are staying here for two days. And then on to Mammoth Lakes (which is almost straight east of Modesto, CA) where we will be for a couple days. I plan to retrieve my car from there as it is still in Lone Pine. The folks that I am with are really super to be with, although one had to leave the trail with an ankle injury. I retrieved a box of stuff a couple days back at Meier Trail ranch. I had been eating top Ramon noodles for 12 days, so a change in the menu was much appreciated. My shoes are coming apart so will have to get a new pair when I can and if I am able to continue, have covered about 200 miles. I will be glad to get to where I can make a call. Haven't had any service yet. All in all the trip has been good but very difficult trail. I had an eye infection for a couple of days so only had the use of one eye. Anyway I finally put some neo sporting (Neosporin) cream I had in my pack, and it seemed to do the trick. It is fine now. Got some real sun burn on my face coming off Mt Whitney, but it is starting to heal. Only have one blister to contend with so has been good. I am still the old man on the trail. Have really appreciated the hymns as I walk along the trail. Blessed footprints of my savior have come to mind many times. I wonder, do we really appreciate all he did for us? I will let this be all for now and will call when I can." Love dad So that's the latest info I have for this post. I will be adding more as I receive it. I'd love to be able to find his Dr. who did both of his knee replacements and let him know what his "patient" is doing. He'd be proud too, I'm sure. I'll try and do a better job of keeping this current this time. I apologize the last post (8/11) kind of just stopped. I didn't realize dad was off the trail until about 3 weeks later. He had fallen and got scraped up (but of course, didn't want to tell me that.) Dads... Until next time . . .

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome accomplishment, Larry! It's great that you could continue on your quest to hike the Pacific Crest Trail. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete