Saturday, May 8, 2010

BIG BEAR (town, not the real thing!!) MILE 268

Dad called today (Sat) a little after 11 am. Was good to hear his voice again after having not since Tuesday. He is in Big Bear and arrived there last evening around 7:00. He is taking today and tomorrow off as his body needs a rest and he needs to restock his food supply too. He shared some more pictures that I will post with this. I will also include his email that he sent as well. Two days ago was the most grueling day so far and toughest day mentally, hiking up a river bed. Said his pack felt like it weighed 80 lbs.

One thing he hasn't done is lost his sense of humor, it's definitely still there. He washes his clothes in the river every couple days (if there is a river, that is) and while he's doing that, he wears his rain gear so he has something to wear!! He went to the grocery store there in Big Bear today and the clerk asked him if he had a card (one of those discount store cards, I imagine) and he said "no, I'm from out of town." She asked what he was doing in Big Bear and he told her he was walking the Pacific Crest Trail. The lady hollered over to another lady and said "this man is 72 years old and he's hiking the PCT." The other lady said, "are you a hiker, cuz I can't even smell ya." Guess there are some that come through there reeking of a pretty ripe "foul" oder. Anyone that knows dad, knows that it is rare for him to go past 1 day without shaving or showering. So this has been a little bit of an adjustment for him. There is no doubt that he will bath whenever and where ever it's possible!

He also came across some prisoners that were out working on work release cleaning up and maintaining part of the trail, I guess and he said "So, ya working on the trail?" They said "ya" and he said "why don't you make it flatter".

Today he was able to pick up a solar phone charger from Radio Shack in Big Bear and so he's hoping he'll be able to take more pictures and use his phone more when reception is available.

Ok, I'll include his email (the photos weren't downloading correctly, so I'll load them later, so watch for them:

"I am at Big Bear. Got in yesterday about 7 pm, have had good hard days of hiking, it was 98 degrees in palm springs when I came to I-10 freeway just west of palm springs, left that area and headed up into the mountains, really steep climb for the first 4 miles or so only hiked about 12 miles and came to the white river, where I took a bath in the river. The water was cold but it was so hot out, it felt good. Decided to stay there the rest of the day and cowboy camped that night. The next day was a long hard slog up steep mountains and rocky trail. Its really incredible the views you see from the area. Made about 18 miles that day. The next day was a very difficult hike up a river bed, the trail was not very well marked so spent time searching for it, everyone said it was a slow day for them also. Camped at a remote campsite that night, more climbing the next day. Got into the snow on the north side of the high mountains, was not really prepared to deal with that, but others had gone before and was able to kick in steps along the steep slopes. My legs and ankles are sore today from that. Got to about ten miles from Big Bear and there was a trail angel with chests full of fruit and other goodies. He said he would bring me into Big Bear to the Hostel where I was going to stay anyway so took him up on it. I've had a hot shower, shaved and had a good bed to sleep in. I had hoped to connect with someone for meeting tomorrow, but after numerious calls I finally got hold of Jeff Gilley, and he checked it out for me and the folks that live here in big bear are at convention. So i will have my little mtg here, there is much to encourage along the way, and have been thankfull for the wonderfull help of the spirit. It has been a great help to me. Out in the wilderness I have been surrounded with Gods handywork and it is indeed incredible. My plan is to go out from here and hike about a 20 mile section with a slack pak, not all the stuff, and then stay here another night, This is the first time for a zero day since starting and I think the body needs it. Our next rest place will be up the trail a couple hundred miles. My phone is not working well enough to do all I wanted on the trail, but will stay in touch as often as possible. My thoughts go to all I love and hope the best for each one. Untill later the best to you all", Love Dad

2 comments:

  1. I laughed at his comment to the inmates. Surely he added, 'it'll only take you 10 minutes'?!
    We passed 'thru Idyllwild in March. He's in some beautiful country....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry, you inspire us with your spunk and zeal. And of course, it encourages us to think of your steady plodding up the Trail we're hiking toward eternity. I just talked to Bob Pfister this afternoon. He said that Lonnie Harris is about the same, hasn't gone downhill as fast as he/they thought he would. Was out to a.m. mtg, but too tired for gospel mtg. These troopers are also encouraging us in the Way. Now tonight our conv here at Mtn Ranch 1 begins. Keep hiking brother!

    ReplyDelete